The most exciting and political Super Bowl of all time
For many, the recent Super Bowl edition held on February 5 had been the best and the most exciting of the 51 games so far, the first in history to go into overtime.
There has never been anything quite like the spectacular comeback and victory of the New England Patriots over the Atlanta Falcons after the Falcons had been dominating three-quarters of the game the Patriots won 34-28.
With a total audience of 113.7 million viewers, the latest installment of the super bowl broadcast by FOX is positioned as the second most watched football game of all time, just below the 114.4 million in 2015. The part-time show was performed by Lady Gaga, which Nielsen recorded 117.5 million viewers surpassing Coldplay’s performance last year.
On the other hand, the event was marked by the shadow of the current political climate in the United States, especially the advertising spots that were presented by advertisers such as Budweiser, Airbnb, Google, Audi, 84 Lumber and Cyprus, who devoted creative efforts to Controversial issues such as immigration, xenophobia, racism and religious and sexual discrimination.
Some of the commercials that created controversy in the last delivery of the Super Bowl were the following:
– “Born the hard way” by Budweiser tells the story of immigrant Adolphus Busch, who went through a long and difficult journey to fulfill his dream of creating the popular beer brand.
See in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmlRtpzwos
– Google’s “Google Home,” emphasizes the racial, religious and sexual variety that makes up the United States.
See in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQn5wiDyUHo
– “The Entire Journey” a construction company 84 Lumber, presents the long journey a mother and daughter make to immigrate to the United States. The construction company 84 Lumber, build a door on the border for those immigrating to the United States with the will to succeed.
See in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPo2B-vjZ28
– Audi’s “Daughter” addressed the issue of equality regarding work and wages for men and women stressing that progress must be for all.
See in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6u10YPk_34
– “We Accept” Airbed and Breakfast (Airbnb), focused on the inclusion and acceptance of people without prejudice of race, origin, religion or gender.
View in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yetFk7QoSck
– The commercial that was perhaps the most political was that of Cyprus air conditioners, in which an actor imitates President Trump and mocks his alleged relationship with Russia and President Vladimir Putin (the commercial was released only for The Washington DC market).
View in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mK-Qj361U0
This political shadow did not outshine the Patriots 34-28 victory; however, Super Bowl advertisers fulfilled their mission: to have audiences speak about their brands.